Monday 25 February 2013

UCAS Actuarial Science Personal Statement

Assalamualaikum, praise to Allah I managed to obtain all offers from respective universities I applied for. According to UCAS, we must attach our personal statement together with our result to the respective universities, After the result comes the personal statement. Alhamdulillah, with my personal statement, I managed to get all offers from the universities.

Please beware that this is my actual personal statement, you may use it as your guide to write yours, but DO NOT simply plagiarise this essay. They have software to detect plagiarisms. If you get caught red-handed, UCAS will tell all the universities and urge them to take appropriate actions, including withdrawing your application. Since I am planning to further my study in Actuarial Science, this essay might be helpful to help those who will be seating in the same field as mine.

Actuarial Science
For 2013/2014 entry

“Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.”–Ralph Waldo Emerson. This quote is the best way to describe my fascination towards mathematics. My decision to make mathematics as my way of life started as early as at the age of 4 years old. When I was a kid, I used to cycle around my neighbourhood and sought for every cars parked on each of the residents’ house. I took their plate numbers and sum up all the 4 numbers in my mind. A few years later, I managed to sum up the 10 digits of telephone numbers of my friends. Realising my potential, I always wondered how adults apply numbers and mathematical formulas to solve problems around them even a complicated ones. I imagined myself as a mathematician who knows everything about life including the calculation of life, happiness, profits and loss of having friendship and the complex prediction of future and past by using numbers.

My father is a virtuoso in selling vehicles, his expertise in making business deals somehow influenced me to become an actuary. I was unconditionally brainwashed by his ability to predict the current interest rates and issues and use them to convince customers to buy vehicles. From thereafter I started reading Newsweek and Reader’s Digest to know about current economics issues during my past time. If there is ambiguous information on the news, I will apply my knowledge to make my own conclusion. I believe there are no problems that cannot be solved by mathematics. Making my debut in the economics class in college, I realized that economics can provides me with sufficient chances to apply my mathematical skills in predicting future financial activities, creating policies and most importantly to contribute to the nation.

I enjoyed working with everything including people, animals, plants and even machines. This undisclosed desire makes me to be meticulous in choosing careers. I want to have such career than enables me to apply numbers in daily life, working with a super power computers and helping people, animals, and environment to get a better future simultaneously. I believe that an actuary is the most felicitous career for me.

I served my first contribution to people from the edge of mathematics, working at KUMON Mathematics Centre. In KUMON, I got the experience of teaching kids mathematics and experimenting various ways to improve the quality of mathematics skills among them. I called myself a mini-actuary as I myself calculate their results, and forecasting their future performance by using mathematics. In school, I participated in National Mathematics and Physics Competition and won the second place in memorizing pi competition with correct value up to 53 digits. I also achieved an excellent result in Arabic language written exam in school.

Participating in outdoor activities and sports is always becoming my next priority. I played football and badminton and had a chance to represent my state in Badminton men’s doubles. During the game, I managed to calculate the speed of the opponents’ strikes, using them to predict the score of the game and yet won the game. I love predictions because we can forecast the outcomes in advance and make early action to the event. I was awarded a Royal Scouts Award due to my tremendous performance in scouting. I was listed among the top scouts in my country when I was 17 years old. I am pretty good in drawing and painting too, spending my leisure time doing painting of various subjects.

Since the demand for Actuarial Science shoots up currently, as many people realised there is something they can do for society by using mathematics. I noticed that in my future career I will have to face all difficulties and challenges of being an actuary. However, I believe that it is worthwhile to get through this because I can contribute more to the nation and society. Hence, I look forward to give my all to this course because I love this course more than anything else in the world combined.

Universities - Decision

University of Heriot-Watt - Conditional
University of Southampton - Conditional
University of Kent - Conditional
University of Manchester - Conditional
City University London - Conditional

And yet I chose University of Kent as my firm and for the insurance I chose Heriot-Watt. At the moment, I am still finishing my International Baccalaureate (IB) programme to fulfil the conditions of the offers. Pray for me and wish me luck guys! Bye

Assalamualaikum.